Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Favourite Books - The Letter T

The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo - Possibly one of the most adorable children's books I have discovered recently.  This is the tale of a tiny mouse with big ears and an ever bigger heart.  He is so different from the other mice that they banish him to the dungeons, where he must defend himself as best he can from the evil rats while he fights as the princess's knight.

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens - This is such a beautiful book.  I fell in love with Sydney Carton when he proved himself to be unselfish and loyal and sweet and...well, you get the idea.  And I was moved to tears when I read the passage:
“Are you dying for him?"  she whispered.
“And his wife and child.  Hush! Yes."
“O will you let me hold your brave hand, stranger?"
“Hush!  Yes, my poor sister; to the last."

The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare - I think this is the only Shakespearean play that I can read effortlessly.  (I find it hard to read plays...sigh)  It's so full of humour!  A must read!

A Tangled Web by L. M. Montgomery - What happens when everyone thinks they should inherit the same object?  And what further happens when the old lady whose decision it is decides to make everyone wait for a year after her death until the name of the inheritor is revealed?  In one word: mayhem.  A delightful book of intertwining stories, A Tangled Web is not a book that I loved at first read.  I had to read it twice before I appreciated its full worth.

Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy - Such a sad book.  The only reason this is a favourite is because it is so beautifully written.  I think it's the only book I ever liked simply for its style.

The Thirteenth Princess by Diane Zahler - A retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses.  I found it an interesting perspective.  I'd never thought of there being a thirteenth princess.  It adds an original twist to the well known fairytale.

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas - An exciting tale with mystery, intrigue and comedy.  I only had a few objections to some scenes, but overall, it was definitely worth the read, and I went so far as to buy myself a copy.

The Trumpet of the Swan by E. B. White - Childhood favourite.  Again.  The story of a trumpeter swan...the rest is a little fuzzy.  But it is a wonderful book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...