Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Favourite Books - The Letter S

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness (Emmuska) Orczy - I read this after I saw the 1982 version of the movie (which, sink meh!, I instantly fell in love with).  The book takes some getting into, but is just as exciting.

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett - One of my childhood favourites.  I especially loved the change in Mary Lennox as she becomes sweeter through tending for her garden.

The Secret Seven Series by Enid Blyton - These were some of my first mystery books, and I remember my siblings and I even made our own secret seven, with badges and everything and secret meetings in the back shed.  I miss those days.

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen - One of my favourites of hers, Sense and Sensibility (as I'm sure you all know) is the tale of two very different sisters.  I find it interesting to see how Elinor and Marianne approach things completely differently.  Brilliantly written by a brilliant authoress.

Snow Treasure by Marie McSwigan - Set in Norway during the second world war, this is an exciting tale of a village of children who are on a desperate mission to save the village's wealth of gold bullion from the Nazis.

The Story Girl by L. M. Montgomery - The first of the Sara Stanley duo, it is chock-full of little stories that she tells during her cousins' stay at her house.  I instantly fell in love with the characters: sweet Cecily, fat Felix, snobbish, beautiful Felicity and her ever faithful Peter (who she scorns, of course), the narrator, Bev, and of course, Sara, who weaves magic with her words.

Stuart Little by E. B. White - Stuart Little is a mouse.  A mouse who makes friends with a beautiful sparrow toward the beginning of the book and for the rest of the story goes out looking for her when she disappears.  His adventures are comical and exciting.  Another one of my childhood favourites.

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George - A retelling of one of my favourite fairytales, East o' the Sun, West o' the Moon.  I would have done it differently, but all in all, it was enjoyable.

The Swiss Family Robinson by Henry Frith - I haven't technically read this.  However, my mum read it aloud to us when we were little, and I have fond memories of large turtles, houses in trees, and explorations in handmade boats.  I have a beautiful old fashioned copy from either the late 1800's or the early 1900's.  I stumbled across it in an antique shop for a mere $5.00 and could not believe my good fortune!  It's true worth must be much more than that.  It's a warm red colour with gold writing and a gold filigree/pillar on the spine.  One of my treasures!

The Sword in the Stone by T. H. White - Although there are some things that I would feel more comfortable about if he had left them out, I must say over all, this is a really good book.  I found it quite funny and an interesting perspective on the life of young King Arthur.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...