Thursday, August 5, 2010

My Favourite Books - The Letter H

Henry Huggins books by Beverly Cleary - I grew up on these. I don't know if you've seen the Romona and Beezus movie that just came out, but I want to!

Heidi by Johanna Spyri - I have yet to find a copy of this endearing book, but when I do, it's going to be illustrated by Jessie Wilcox Smith who is one of my favourite illustrators.

The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom - This is one book that I think everyone has to read. It is sad, and I did cry, but there are some times when crying is a good thing. That was one of those times. I felt so close to Corrie and her family that I cried in sympathy with her, and the end almost made me cry again, but for a different reason. I won't blow it by giving anything away, but it is so sweet and touching. You will learn a lot from this account from a Dutch woman during the time of World War II.

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien - My favourite of all his books. And my favourite chapter out of this whole book is An Unexpected Tea Party. It cracks me up every time, especially the washing up of the dishes part. If you haven't read it and are a Lord of the Rings fan, I'm shocked! Go read it!

Hollow Tree House by Enid Blyton - My dear mum bought so many of her books when we were little that we have almost two whole shelves devoted to her. They were some of the very first books I ever read, and might have something to do with kindling the little spark of love for fairytales inside me. This story is not a fairytale, however. It is about children and involves one of them living inside a hollow tree (which I've always wanted to do). No, I'm not crazy.

Homer Price by Robert McCloskey - This book is so funny! If you like Henry Huggins, you'll like Homer Price, but I encourage you to try it even if you don't like Henry Huggins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...