Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My Favourite Books - The Letter B

A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond - It doesn't matter how old you are, even if you read a few of these chapters, you can't help but fall in love with the adorable little protagonist. The number of accidental scrapes he gets into is commendable; I still can't believe he survived them all!

Beatrix Potter Books - I didn't know quite how to list these, so I figured I'd put them under her name. They are absolutely wonderful children's books and I was delighted to find four in cardboard edition for my (hopefully) future children. I also am just finishing cross stitching a Beatrix Potter blanket which I will probably show you when I have completed the last character.

The Best of James Herriot by James Herriot - Whether you like animals or not, at least try these. I have read them countless times and still enjoy each one immensely.

The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery - If you have read any of her other books, this one will surprise you. It is definitely not a typical L. M. Montgomery book. But I still loved it just the same. I have already added it to my collection, which is steadily growing more and more expansive.

The Bobbsey Twins by Laura Lee Hope - These are really geared for children. If you are a child, you will probably like them. I find now that I am older, I can't get into them anymore.

The Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale - I've always liked the fairytale of Maid Maileen, although it's not very well known. Maybe especially because of that. This is an adaptation of the tale and all I can say is that Shannon Hale has done it again!

The Borrowed House by Hilda van Stockum - I am part Dutch, and stories from World War II fascinate me. The author is Dutch, and I stumbled across this book because I read and loved another of her novels (which I will put in when I get to the letter W). A very touching story, but not for children, I don't think. I recommend proofreading it just to make sure. I don't remember if it is based on a true story...all I remember is that it's really good.

The Borrowers Series by Mary Norton - Now these are a different matter. Even though they are written for children, they are definitely ageless. I laugh so hard every time I read them!

Boy & Going Solo by Roald Dahl - Another book that will make you laugh. These are autobiographies by the author of Charlie in the Chocolate Factory and I particularly enjoyed the chapter about the sweet shop he used to frequent.

The Boy Next Door by Enid Blyton - One of my many favourites of hers; I read this one over and over in the summers of my childhood.

Brambly Hedge books by Jill Barklem - So adorable! On par with Beatrix Potter and Cicely Mary Barker. Wonderful stories coupled with breathtaking illustrations. What more could one ask for?

I know most of these are children's, but don't worry; I've got a lot of different books coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...