Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Peek Into My Home

I wanted to give you a taste of my home, so I went around taking pictures of little things around my house. I live in a very small cottage and love it. I share a room with my little sister, who is very close to me, and we each have our own set of bookshelves. But I started downstairs, with my mum's bookshelves.

All the books I grew up reading are on these shelves; the Enid Blyton books (all of them), the Little House on the Prairie series, Little Women, the Narnia series, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, you name it. They're there.

This is my piano. I love my piano! I've never found one that is so comfortable for me to play. I am currently working on Liszt's Liebestraum No. 3. It's so hard! But beautiful, and therefore worth it.

This is in our kitchen; it's the top of our baker's rack. Very French. My mum loves French things. My family has some French roots along many other nationalities, including German, Dutch, English, Scottish, and Irish. I feel very lucky.

This is a clock my mum has in our kitchen. It's also very French and I really like it. It's big and elegant, which normally wouldn't work, but with this clock it does.

Ah, now we're upstairs in our living room. We have another largeish bookshelf in there, and this is my favourite shelf on it. It may have something to do with the way the light shimmers off the shell and shows all its beautiful pearly colours. Or maybe it's the warmth of the antique books. Probably a combination.

French Lavender on the back of our bathroom door.

Now we're in my room. This is my side of the top of one of our bookshelves, and there on the right you will see my jungle of bookmarks. Shocking, I know! And that tiny silver thing next to it is a dear little clock that my mum got for me in Chatsworth as a 'just because' on a trip of hers. Then there are my two favourite mugs! The bunny mug on the left was hand painted for me by a very dear friend. The one on the right is from one of my aunts who sent it all the way from England for Christmas.

This is my very small collection of antique books. I am thrilled to have Magic for Marigold (even if it is in delicate condition, in fact all the more reason for me to have it as I will take very special care of it) by L. M. Montgomery! It was a lucky find one day and made me very, very happy.

This is just above my antique books. I would like to introduce you to my polar bear. I love him! He reminds me of the fairytale 'East o' the Sun, West o' the Moon', which is one of my personal favourites.

Here are two of my bookshelves. As you can see, I have begun to run out of room. There are just too many good books around!

This shelf has my L. M. Montgomery section, which is only missing a big volume of her diary because I couldn't fit it there. So it's below. But I have twenty-eight of her books there. (Well, there are actually only twenty-seven in the picture, but that's because Kilmeny of the Orchard is on loan to a friend of mine).

I also wanted to show you what I've been up to, so here is a sweater I've been knitting for a very long time. The bottom part is very hard, but I think it's worth it. The pattern is called Titania, after the Queen of the Fairies, and I think it suits it. I can't wait to finish it and be able to wear it!

This is my Beatrix Potter baby blanket that I just finished. *Sigh*. It was a lot of fun to do and I am very sorry to be finished.

These are a bit blurry, but you can see them pretty well. This is Hunka Munka and her children (absolutely adorable, it's one of my favourite illustrations). Hmm...I've noticed that I've had to say favourite quite a few times in this post. Oh well, nothing else would fit!

These last two are both from The Tailor of Gloucester.


So there you have it! I hope you have a good feeling for my home by now. I love it. I hope I never have to move, which is ridiculous, of course I will. But for now I can stay here, happy, content and smiling.

3 comments:

  1. Your knitting is beautiful! I could never do anything that fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm sure you could do it too. It's my favourite pattern so far. I had to undo it and restart I don't know how many times!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...