Saturday, October 2, 2010

Fairytales Retold

Once Upon a Time; the best beginning for any book. How I love fairytales! What I don't understand is why there is no genre entitled 'Fairytales Retold'. There are countless books out there that could fit into that description. For those of us who loved fairytales when we were children, retold fairytales are probably right up our alley. I know they are certainly up mine! I have a great weakness for them, so I am on the never ending search. If you are like me, then you probably know just how hard it is to find them! It's like looking for a needle in a haystack. I mean, after you've read all the obvious ones. It's very challenging to find good new fairytales turned into novels.

So I've decided to list a few that I remember were good. I hope you find some that you haven't read yet!

  • The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
  • Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George
  • Princess of Glass by Jessica Day George
  • Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
  • The Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale
  • Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George
  • Fairest by Gail Carson Levine
  • Wildwood Dancing by Juliet Marillier (does contain vampires, although they are not necessarily the good guys)
  • The Fairy's Return and Other Princess Tales by Gail Carson Levine (these are short, but really enjoyable)
  • The Storyteller's Daughter by Cameron Dokey
  • Violet Eyes by Debbie Viguie (might have too much kissing)
  • Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley
  • Beauty by Robin McKinley
  • Wild Orchid by Cameron Dokey
  • Winter's Child by Cameron Dokey
  • The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry
  • Bella at Midnight by Diane Stanley (I'm not too keen on some of the plot twists toward the end, which I found a bit over the top, but over all it was good)
How many of you think there should be a genre entitled 'Fairytales Retold'? What are your favourite retold fairytales? Please comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...